Monday 27 September 2010

First day at Uni.

Today our year had a chat with our course leader, and i was unexpectedly put on the spot to pitch my idea.
So i did, and along with it came the expected crit. Crit which has had a positive effect, as im now aware as what is expected of us for our final product.

The crit given was mainly aimed towards my lack of precised research for demographic, id looked at age range and not a specifc audience. Basically by saying 12 - 15 yr olds, thats like saying every 12 year old is into hack and slash, so i need to narow it down.

I was also asked if I had a message i wanted to convey with this game, and that having one would help boost its status as a commercial game. As such i dont have a solid message that id feel this game is about so its something i will look into.

The last useful crit. was to consider a USP, a Unique Selling Point. Of this i like to think that the USP for this game idea is adding RPG class's to a hack n slash genre. This is a fresh idea that would add a great sense of team play and variety to an otherwise fairly simple and repetitive game mechanic.

Originally i thought we needed a working prototype, but it turns out something as simple as animating a 3D model and showcasing it in an engine is just as good.
I also discussed with our course leader the differences if any between working solo and as a group. The general census is that groups tend to get the higher marks, obviously due to more man power. BUT the group needs to be balanced skill wise as the group is then seen as one person and as a result the group is marked as one.

This worries me slightly as with this project, it is quite precious to me. And obviously id love to receive full credit if my idea is successful.
However with that said, I personally I feel I work better in a group, and if there is a group that really takes to my idea then I can see this really rocketing.
I also have to consider what id be capable of if i worked as a solo act, and that would most likely be showcasing my 3D models, rotating in an engine.

SO, I will have to weigh up my options and decide what would benefit me more.